International Permafrost/Natural Hazard Summer Field School
Event Type: Field Training and Schools
When: 1 August 2016 to 20 August 2016
Where: Yakutia, Russia
The University of the Arctic Thematic Network on Permafrost and Natural Hazard announce a call for applications for an International Permafrost/Natural Hazard Summer Field School in Yakutia, Russia on 1-20 August 2016. Senior bachelor and graduate students who are interested in obtaining and overall knowledge about permafrost are encouraged to apply.
The course will offer insights into:
- Permafrost history and its distribution globally.
- Permafrost related natural hazards and hydrological problems.
- Permafrost temperatures in various parts of the World climatic and other controls.
- Methods of permafrost observations, focusing on drilling, coring and instrumentation.
- Permafrost databases and their use in permafrost analyses.
- How does permafrost affect local community infrastructure and cultural life?
- Interaction between carbon and water in permafrost landscapes.
- How sensitive are permafrost landforms towards climate change?
Interested students should send a Curriculum Vitae and short motivation letter (less than 1 page) to the field school organizers (uarcticpermafrost [at] gmail.com).
Application Deadline: 25 April 2016.
For questions, please contact:
kyoshikawa [at] alaska.edu