Abstract Deadline: Second International Symposium on Plastic Pollution in the Arctic and Sub-Arctic Regions
Event Type: Deadlines
When: 1 June 2023
The Government of Iceland (Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Ministry of the Environment, Energy and Climate, Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Fisheries), with financial support from the The Nordic Council of Ministers and The Nordic Council, will host the Second International Symposium on Plastics in the Arctic and Sub-Arctic Region at Harpa Concert Hall and Conference Centre, in Reykjavík, Iceland from 22-23 November 2023, in partnership with Pinngortitaleriffik, Grønlands Naturinstitut, Senter for hav og Arktis, International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES), OSPAR Commission, GRID-Arendal, UArctic, UNESCO Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission, Wilson Center, United Nations Environment Programme, IASC.
The conference will build on the first symposium held in March 2021 and invites contributions on new scientific and local knowledge as well as policy-related initiatives in the field of plastic pollution to discuss ways and means to reduce the impact of plastics on Arctic ecosystems. The symposium will include platform presentations, posters and panel discussions. The Scientific Steering Committee for the symposium suggests the following themes:
- Monitoring and assessment of plastic pollution in the Arctic.
- Methodological developments to determine macro, micro and nano plastics.
- Sources and transport of plastic in the Arctic and sub-Arctic.
- Impacts of marine litter in the Arctic (environmental, economic and social).
- Arctic challenges and solutions for improved waste management.
- Tackling plastic pollution: international collaboration, policies, best practices and novel developments from around the world.
Extended deadline for abstracts is 1 June 2023.
Early bird registration ends 1 September 2023.