Arctic Marine Operations and Shipping: Green Initiatives and Challenges
Event Type: Webinars and Virtual Events
When: 7 April 2021
Where: Online: 8:00-10:00 am AKDT, 12:00-2:00 pm EDT, 6:00-8:00 pm CET
We invite you to attend a joint webinar, "Arctic Marine Operations and Shipping: Green Initiatives and Challenges," organized by the Academia Europaea Bergen Knowledge Hub (AE-Bergen), Pacific Environment, University of Bergen, and Arctic Frontiers. The webinar will be held on the Arctic Frontiers digital platform.
Major economies aim to be carbon neutral by 2050. Such an ambition implies an almost full transition away from using fossil fuels to power the transport sector, including maritime transport. How will the maritime Arctic be influenced by global responses to climate change? The webinar addresses maritime transport in the Arctic and will provide insights into a complex set of issues: the Arctic's policy framework for marine safety and environmental protection; indigenous and conservation perspectives; green ship technology; marine infrastructure; and what measures are needed to make Arctic marine operations and shipping more sustainable.
- Jim Gamble, Arctic Programme Director, Pacific Environment
- Eystein Jansen, Professor, University of Bergen, the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research and Academic Director, Academia Europaea Bergen Knowledge Hub
- Lawson Brigham, Wilson Fellow, Polar Institute of the Wilson Center
- Morten Mejlænder-Larsen, Director of Arctic Operations and Technology, DNV
- Hege Økland, CEO, Maritime CleanTech
- Arild Moe, Senior Research Fellow, The Fridtjof Nansen Institute
- Mellisa Johnson, Executive Director, Bering Sea Elders Group
- Sian Prior, Lead Advisor, Clean Arctic Alliance
Please follow the link above for more information and to register.