Arctic Observing Summit
Observing for Action
Event Type: Conferences and Workshops
When: 31 March 2020 to 2 April 2020
Where: Akureyri, Iceland
The 5th biennial AOS will be held as part of the Arctic Science Summit Week (ASSW) (27 March – 2 April). The theme of AOS 2020 is "Observing for Action".
The AOS fosters communication and international collaboration and coordination of long-term observations aimed at improving understanding of and response to system-scale Arctic change. The AOS is an international forum for optimizing resource allocation, and minimizing gaps and duplication, through coordination of and exchange among researchers, agencies, Indigenous Peoples, non-governmental organizations, the private sector and others involved or interested in long-term observing activities. The AOS serves as a platform to identify and address societal and scientific needs and priorities, minimize gaps in data and information, reduce duplication, improve coverage and breadth, and contribute to solution-based applications and knowledge sharing.
AOS2020 will be structured along the following sub-themes:
- Sub-Theme 1: Design, Optimization and Implementation of the Observing System
- Sub-Theme 2: Observing in Support of Adaptation and Mitigation
- Sub-Theme 3: Observing in Support of Indigenous Food Security and Related Needs
- Sub-Theme 4: Data Interoperability and Federated Search
- Sub-Theme 5: Arctic Observations in the context of Global Observing initiatives
- Sub-Theme 6: Arctic Observing in Support of Global Actions