8th GEWEX Science Conference
Event Type: Conferences and Workshops
When: 6 May 2018 to 11 May 2018
Where: Canmore, Alberta, Canada
GEWEX, the Global Energy and Water Exchanges project, is holding its 8th GEWEX Science Conference from 6-11 May 2018 in Canmore, Alberta, Canada.
The 2018 GEWEX Science Conference is structured around the topic of challenges confronting our ability to understand and predict changes in climate extremes and the availability of freshwater under the complex factors of natural variability, forced climate change due to human activities, and human management practices such as dams, reservoirs, land cover changes, and agricultural management. The Conference will reflect research activities that advance the main themes of the GEWEX project and of the two WCRP Grand Challenges on “Weather and Climate Extremes” and “Water for the Food Baskets of the World.” The full call for papers can be found here.
The 2018 GEWEX Conference welcomes abstracts that are related to the themes mentioned, particularly on the following topics:
- Nexus of water, energy, and food
- Climate extremes
- Extreme weather
- Atmospheric modeling: atmospheric model parameterizations, physics-dynamics coupling, coupling of physical processes
- Land modeling: land parameterizations, model representation of land-climate interactions in present and future, coupling of physical processes
- Mountain and high latitude hydrology
- Global energy and water cycles
Abstracts for both themes of weather and climate extremes and water availability, as well as the themes of the GEWEX Panels described above, are welcome. Poster submissions are encouraged.
- October 15, 2017: Registration and abstract submission opens
- December 18, 2017: Abstract and travel support requests due; deadline to apply for ECR Workshop
- January 15, 2018: Abstract acceptance notification
- January 22, 2018: Travel support notification
- February 1, 2018: Early bird registration closes
- April 3, 2018: Room reservation deadline at Coast Canmore Hotel