Western Alaska Interdisciplinary Science Conference (WAISC)
Event Type: Conferences and Workshops
When: 26 April 2017 to 29 April 2017
Where: Unalaska, Alaska
The Western Alaska Interdisciplinary Science Conference (WAISC) will highlight regional scientific efforts that provide a more interdisciplinary approach to scientific inquiry, resource management, and fishery resource development and marketing. Organizers welcome submissions from all individuals and organizations collecting and disseminating information in the industries of western Alaska.
Western Alaska is experiencing a period of rapid change. WAISC seeks to bring scientists, resource managers, industry experts, fishery business enthusiasts, seafood product development/safety specialists and resource users together to share the state-of-the-science, the latest innovations in technology, and local observations, and to discuss the needs and concerns of each stakeholder group.
The Western Alaska Interdisciplinary Science Conference and Forum seeks oral and poster presentations focused on the following topics:
- Seafood processing and development/food security
- Renewable energy and energy efficiency
- Fishing business and operations
- Climate change adaptation
- Bycatch, pollock allocation, rationalization
- Vessel traffic, oil spill response, and marine accidents
- Building effective local environmental observer networks
- Rural education
- Waste management
- Marine policy/coastal management
Abstracts may be submitted online through February 24.
Online registration is now open. The registration fee is $100.
Planning is underway, so check the website for updates and for more information.