Ecology of Glacial Forelands
Event Type: Conferences and Workshops
Where: Obergurgl, Austria
Over the last years people working on glacier forelands and on pro- or periglacial environments have brought forward highly interesting new aspects from a variety of geographic regions. Among them are really astonishing and unexpected results which raise the question what are local specifics and what are common traits and mechanisms in such environments. This calls for common approaches and joint actions on a super-regional scale. In a follow-up of our 2008 workshop we therefore want to bring together people working on any organisms with their interactions and their abiotic environment in the terrestrial and aquatic habitats of deglaciated terrain of any kind including debris covered glaciers, rock glaciers, and nunataks.
There are two major aims of this workshop:
- Planning joint actions and harmonizing approaches
- Outlining a review paper on this topic
Features of the workshop will be:
- Sessions with brief talks to bring everyone up to speed about the latest developments and ideas
- Workgroups to discuss specific matters such as methodology, particular organism groups, theories and models, etc.
- Synthesizing the outcome into a plan for joint actions across geographic regions and into a concept for a large review on glacier forelands and periglacial environments.
- Half-day excursion to a local glacier foreland, and an optional full-day excursion in the region on the last day.
Language of the workshop is English.
Please use our form for registration and to submit contributions located on our website. Deadline for preliminary titles is 16 February 2014, deadline for final titles and abstracts will be 13 April 2014.