The first Navigating the New Arctic (NNA) Investigators Meeting was held virtually 16–17 April 2020. Participation was by invitation; this page includes background information on the meeting and publicly-available meeting resources.
The NNA Investigators meeting was a cooperative effort among the National Science Foundation’s (NSF) Office of Polar Programs, the NNA Working group at NSF, the Arctic Research Consortium of the United States (ARCUS), experts on Indigenous/Traditional knowledge and working with Arctic communities, and NNA project investigators and team members.
NSF Goals for the Navigating the New Arctic Program, one of NSF's 10 Big Ideas:
- Improved understanding of Arctic change and its local and global effects that capitalize on innovative and optimized observation infrastructure, advances in understanding of fundamental processes, and new approaches to modeling interactions among the natural environment, built environment, and social systems.
- New and enhanced research communities that are diverse, integrative, and well-positioned to carry out productive research on the interactions or connections between natural and built environments and social systems and how these connections inform our understanding of Arctic change and its local and global effects.
- Research outcomes that inform national security, economic development, and societal well-being, and enable resilient and sustainable Arctic communities.
- Enhanced efforts in formal and informal education that focus on the social, built, and natural impacts of Arctic change on multiple scales and broadly disseminate research outcomes.
For more information on the NNA program, please visit the NNA NSF website.
Goals for the Virtual NNA Investigators Meeting:
To accelerate the rate of dissemination of ideas among researchers.
To build an intellectual research core to address NNA challenges.
To enable enhanced research collaborations.
NNA Project Lightning Talk Videos and Project Update Reports
The brief lightning talk recordings and project update reports found below were produced by each of the NNA project teams to introduce their projects to the wider NNA community and to highlight any unique collaboration opportunities that they are interested in exploring. The first document lists the order of the lightning talks and project update reports available below. Note that not all projects have both a public lightning talk and project update.
- Order of Lightning Talks & Project Reports (PDF - 47KB)
- YouTube Playlist of NNA Project Lightning Talk Videos
- Navigating the New Arctic Project Update Reports (PDF - 9MB)
NNA Virtual Investigators Meeting Agenda & Summary Notes
Below are the agenda and summary notes from the virtual meeting. The summary notes are not intended as the official report of the meeting and have not yet been reviewed by meeting participants nor copy-edited. A formal meeting report, which will be reviewed by meeting participants, is forthcoming. However, given the call for proposals for an NNA Coordination Office, the meeting organizers (ARCUS and NSF), felt that it was important to release this draft version of meeting notes as quickly as possible to benefit those submitting proposals.
- NNA Virtual Investigators Meeting Agenda (PDF 102 KB)
- NNA Virtual Investigators Meeting Summary Notes (PDF - 136 KB)
List of NNA Projects
A list of the NNA projects and awards (defined by NSF) that were invited to participate in the virtual NNA Investigators meeting is available here, as a google sheet.