POSTPONED TO OCT. 2022: 3rd Open Science Conference of the International Partnerships in Ice Core Sciences
Ice Core Science at the Three Poles
When: 10 October 2021 to 15 October 2021
Where: Crans-Montana, Switzerland
*UPDATE: Due to the worldwide COVID19 pandemic the IPICS OSC initially planned for 2020 had to be postponed. Also in 2021 the global situation did not allow to organize a truly international ice core conference with safe participation from all regions of the globe. The IPICS SSC therefore decided to postpone by another year. The local organization committee is now proud to announce that the IPICS OSC will take place in October 2022 and is looking forward to see all of you in person in picturesque Crans Montana in the midst of the Swiss Alps.
New confirmed dates: October 2 - October 7, 2022*
Ice cores provide information about past climate and environmental conditions as well as direct records of the composition of the atmosphere on timescales from decades to hundreds of millennia. With the pioneering work of Hans Oeschger of University of Bern on carbon dioxide in polar ice cores, a long tradition of ice core research in Switzerland began. Less known is that Hans Oeschger also initiated a high-alpine drilling project on Colle Gnifetti in Switzerland in the 1970s. To acknowledge Hans Oeschger’s important contribution to these two ice core fields and to foster the link between the corresponding communities the theme of the conference is Ice Core Science at the Three Poles.
- January 1, 2021: Submission for abstracts opens, Registration opens
- April 30, 2021: Deadline for abstract submission, Deadline for travel grant application
- June 1, 2021: Abstract confirmation, Travel award confirmation
- July 1, 2021: Early bird registration closes
- September 1, 2021: Online registration closes
- October 10, 2021: Ice Core Young Scientists (ICYS) Workshop
- October 11 - 15, 2021: IPCIS Third Open Science Conference
- October 16, 2021: Post-Conference Excursion