International Congress of Arctic Social Sciences (ICASS X)
Looking Back and Looking Forward
Event Type: Conferences and Workshops
When: 15 June 2020 to 19 June 2020
Where: Arkhangelsk, Russia
The International Arctic Social Sciences Association (IASSA) invites abstract submissions for the 10th International Congress of Arctic Social Sciences (ICASS X).
The theme of ICASS X is Arctic Generations: Looking Back and Looking Forward. Research on social sciences and humanities have a great responsibility to address the challenges for sustainable development in the Arctic, with a specific focus on past, present, and future generations of Arctic residents. The generational nature of changes and responses have lately become more recognized by many policymakers and researchers. A focus on generations highlights the long-term, fundamental nature, and scope of changes, impacts, and adaptation strategies. Another focus of ICASS X is Indigenous knowledge and inter- and transdisciplinary research in the Arctic.
Organizers welcome sessions and papers on all facets of the Arctic and sub-Arctic. ICASS will also welcome contributions on all other subjects of relevance to IASSA members.
ICASS X themes will include:
- Arctic Futures, Scenarios, and Prospects
- Arctic Infrastructure
- Arctic People, Generations, and Places
- Arctic Youth and Generational Relations
- Art and Design
- Economy, Labor, and Development in the Arctic
- Environment and Climate Change
- Gender in the Arctic
- Health and Well-Being
- Indigenous Knowledge and Knowledge Co-production
- Indigenous Societies
- International Relations and Science Diplomacy in the Arctic
- Knowledge Systems and Education
- Law and Legal Regimes in the Arctic
- Migrations and Mobilities
- Museums and Heritage
- Religion and Spirituality
- Research Methodologies
- Resource and Extractive Industries
- Settlements in the Arctic
- Social Work in the Arctic
- Technology and Innovation in the Arctic
The Call for Papers will be distributed in Fall 2019, with a preliminary list of sessions. Some travel funding may be available on competitive basis.
Abstracts should be submitted via email to Andrey Petrov (andrey.petrov.iassa [at] gmail.com) and copied to Elena Golosova (golosove [at] uni.edu). Submissions should include session title, name of organizer(s), complete contact information for a corresponding organizer, and a brief description of the session (150 words). Submissions should also indicate up to two themes where the proposed session fits the best. General ideas on sessions will also be accepted.
Abstract submission deadline extended to: 20 January 2020.
For questions, contact:
Email: andrey.petrov [at] uni.edu