Application Deadline: International Permafrost Summer Field School
When: 30 April 2017
The University of the Arctic Thematic Network on Permafrost offers an International Permafrost Summer Field School in Fairbanks Alaska, July 31- August 12 2017. We welcome senior bachelor and graduate students, who are interested in obtaining an overall knowledge about permafrost.
The course will offer insights into:
- Permafrost history and its distribution globally.
- Permafrost related natural hazards and hydrological problems.
- Permafrost temperatures in various parts of the World – climatic and other controls.
- Methods of permafrost observations, focusing on drilling, coring and instrumentation.
- Permafrost databases and their use in permafrost analyses.
- How does permafrost affect local community infrastructure and cultural life?
- Interaction between carbon and water in permafrost landscapes.
- How sensitive are permafrost landforms towards climate change?
Application deadline is April 30 2017.
Send CV and short motivation letter (less than 1 page) to uarcticpermafrost [at] gmail.com.
There is no tuition fee for this course.
Course credits (may obtain 3 US credits) is not mandatory and require additional cost for the course.
Accommodation for students during the course will be in reindeer camp and some field site, and it will cost for meals.
For further questions: Kenji Yoshikawa (kyoshikawa [at] alaska.edu) or uarcticpermafrost [at] gmail.com