The Arctic Research Consortium of the U.S., Inc. (ARCUS) is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit consortium of universities and organizations dedicated to Arctic research and education.
This position is a non-exempt, full-time position. This position could be based at the ARCUS office in Fairbanks, Alaska or as a home-based position elsewhere in the U.S.
Travel Logistics (Approximately 60-70% of time, depending on event schedules)
- Arranges travel and lodging accommodations for ARCUS staff and other participants for meetings and conferences.
- Follow up with participants for submission of outstanding travel documentation.
- Process and reconcile travel documentation and receipts for reimbursement following the completion of travel;
- Coordinate with Business Office for travel documentation.
Workshop Planning and Implementation: (Approximately 10-20% of time, depending on events)
- Solicits competitive bids for meeting venues, audio/visual, lodging, meals, transportation, and other meeting requirements, and acts as Point of Contact with venues.
- Communicates with meeting/workshop participants about meeting planning and logistics.
- Assists with preparation of meeting support materials for distribution to participants.
- Provides on-site administrative and logistical support during meetings and workshops.
- Prepares drafts and final copies of workshop correspondence, memos, reports, administrative forms, and other materials.
- Assists with creation of content for portions of website related to workshop.
Assist with ARCUS programs (Approximately 15% of time):
- Assists in meeting logistics and participant travel arrangements.
- Organizes and schedules video conferences and online meetings, including polling for availability, determining most appropriate meeting time, informing participants about logistical aspects of the meeting, collecting and distributing supporting materials, and note-taking.
- Provides copyediting for documents and postings to ARCUS’ primary email list, ArcticInfo (https://www.arcus.org/arctic-info).
- Provides assistance with project outreach activities and communications.
- Assists with planning and set up of webinars.
- Assists with basic data entry and QA/QC in spreadsheets and databases.
General Administrative Support (Approximately 5% of time)
- Manage ARCUS’ voicemail box, including forwarding messages to appropriate staff, returning calls, and answering general questions regarding ARCUS.
- Assist with credit card statement reconciliation.
- As needed, schedule meeting and set up conference calls.
- As needed, takes detailed notes during meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Some travel may be necessary, resulting in increased hours and associated overtime about twice per year.
Skills and Abilities:
- Attention to detail is imperative.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Communicates effectively both orally and in writing.
- Manages time well to complete tasks on deadlines, with a proactive approach.
- Skilled at editing for clarity, grammar, spelling, and formatting.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Proficient with standard word processing, spreadsheet, email software, and general computer skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
Education and Experience:
- Sufficient to perform effectively the responsibilities of the position and to have acquired the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Salary will be commensurate with education and experience; within a range of $17.25 to $20.00/hour. ARCUS has a generous benefits package that includes health and dental insurance, retirement benefit, and generous paid time off policy. ARCUS is supportive of continued training and professional development opportunities.
This is a full-time position, 30-40 hours/week, paid on an hourly basis and will report to a Project Manager. Working hours would be Monday-Friday, with significant overlap with the hours of 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Alaska time
How to Apply
Application materials should include:
- A letter of interest (1-2 pages) that explains how your experiences and qualifications suit you for this position; specifically addressing your attention to detail.
- A resume.
References will be requested from final candidates.
Please submit application materials and any questions via email to jobs [at] arcus.org, subject line: “Project Assistant [Last Name]”. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be reviewed beginning 17 July 2019, but the position will remain open until filled.
ARCUS is an equal opportunity employer.