------------------------- SCICEX 2000 Workshop --------------------------
A WORKSHOP TO PLAN FOR SUBMARINE-BASED ARCTIC SCIENCE AFTER THE YEAR 2000
Airlie Conference Center, Warrenton, VA, October 6-8, 1998
Sponsored by: Office of Naval Research and National Science Foundation
Convenors: Drew Rothrock and Wieslaw Maslowski
As the 1998 SCICEX cruise is collecting new data on the Arctic Ocean
and sea ice it is time to make plans for attending a workshop entitled
"SCICEX 2000". The workshop will be held at Airlie Conference Center
in Warrenton, Virginia near Dulles airport, 6-8 October, 1998. The last
SCICEX (Scientific Ice Expeditions) cruise scheduled for the spring of
1999 will end the current program.
The two main objectives of the SCICEX 2000 Workshop are to assess
accomplishments of the past missions and to form a vision of what
could be tackled and achieved by a more coordinated program with a
stable funding, should it be continued into the next decade. To
accomplish the latter objective white papers are being solicited
from wide community before the workshop. They should describe an
idea or plan for use of submarines and the necessary sensor development.
Topics outlined in the white papers will be discussed in working
groups during the second day of this 2.5-day long meeting.
The following is the agenda:
- October 6 - US Navy and agency vision talks, invited summary science
talks, poster session on past SCICEX results.
- October 7 - Working Groups discuss white papers for future SCICEX
studies and formulate recommendations, plenary session
hears and discusses reports from Working Group chairs.
- October 8 - Plenary session: Working Groups review their objectives,
discussion of issues related to operations and instrument
development; formulation of cohesive recommendations.
Adjourn after lunch.
- October 9 - Organizing Committee works on report.
The working group discussions will be organized in five topic areas,
and each group will be chaired by two representatives of the organizing
committee (one present or past SCICEX investigator and one from outside
1. Sea Ice (Alan Thorndike and Greg Flato)
2. Upper Ocean Structure and Circulation (Bill Smethie and Jim Swift)
3. Biology and Chemistry (Tim Hollibaugh and Jackie Grebmeier)
4. Geology and Geophysics (Ruth Jackson and John Tarduno)
5. Operations and Instrument Development (Dale Chayes and Wayne Sternberger)
A broad participation from the scientific community primarily in the U.S.,
but also in Canada, Europe, and Japan is invited. It is anticipated that
representatives from the Navy (Arctic Submarine Laboratory, Navy submarine
fleet, Navy engineering, captains of past SCICEX cruises) and from agencies
(ONR, NSF, USGS, NOAA, NASA, and the Arctic Research Commission) will
participate in this meeting.
For more information about the SCICEX 2000 Workshop (including registration,
location, schedule, etc.) please visit the following website:
* The deadline for abstracts, white papers and registration is 15 August. *
Additional information about the SCICEX program is available at:
Signed for the Organizing Committee: