The Senate Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries and Coast Guard will hold a field hearing in Alaska on Arctic shipping safety and reviewing the lessons learned from the 2012 offshore drilling season. The hearing will also examine the U.S. preparation for Arctic shipping more generally, with testimony from Alaska maritime experts, local communities, and environmental groups. Witnesses include:
- The Honorable Tommy P. Beaudreau, Acting Assistant Secretary - Land and Minerals Management, US Department of the Interior (via video teleconference
- Rear Admiral Thomas P. Ostebo, Commander, Seventeenth District, U.S. Coast Guard
- Mr. Pete E. Slaiby, Vice President, Exploration and Production, Shell Alaska
- Ms. Helen Brohl, Executive Director, US Committee on the Marine Transportation System (via video teleconference)
- Mr. Ed Page, Executive Director, Marine Exchange of Alaska
- Ms. Eleanor Huffines, Manager, U.S. Arctic Campaign, Pew Charitable Trusts
- Mr. Matt Ganley, Vice President, Bering Straits Native Corp.