Arctic Research Consortium of the United States, Inc.
Part-Time Administrative Assistant Position
The Arctic Research Consortium of the United States (ARCUS) has been connecting Arctic research since 1988. Because of its regional nature, Arctic research often cuts across multiple disciplines, organizations, nations, and populations. ARCUS provides intangible infrastructure to support the formation and enhancement of connections across these boundaries, working toward a more holistic understanding of the Arctic. Supported by government agencies, foundations, and others who share a desire to advance Arctic knowledge, ARCUS maintains a portfolio of programs to communicate, educate, coordinate, and collaborate to advance Arctic understanding.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, organized, and detail-oriented Administrative Assistant. This position is a non-exempt part-time position in Fairbanks, Alaska, paid on an hourly basis.
- Arranges travel and accommodations for ARCUS staff and other participants for meetings and conferences.
Workshop Planning Support
- Solicits competitive bids for meeting venues, audio/visual, lodging, meals, transportation, and other meeting requirements.
- Communicates with meeting/workshop participants about meeting logistics.
- Assists with preparation of meeting support materials for distribution to participants.
- Prepares drafts and final copy of workshop correspondence, reports, administrative forms, and other materials.
- Assists with creation of content for portions of website related to workshop.
Assist with ARCUS programs, including science planning, education, and/or outreach activities:
- Assists in meeting logistics and participant travel arrangements.
- Organizes and schedules videoconferences and online meetings, including polling for availability, determining most appropriate meeting time, informing participants about logistical aspects of the meeting, and collecting and distributing supporting materials.
- Edits postings to ARCUS’ email list, ArcticInfo (https://www.arcus.org/arctic-info);
- Provides assistance with project outreach activities and communications.
- Assists with planning and set up of webinars.
- Assists with basic data entry and QA/QC in spreadsheets and databases.
General Administrative Support
- As needed, provides general office support, including opening and distributing mail; shipping, photocopying, and faxing; and front office support, including greeting visitors and answering telephones.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
- Thrives on attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Communicates effectively both orally and in writing.
- Manages time well to complete tasks on deadlines.
- Skilled at editing for clarity, grammar, spelling, and formatting.
- Proficient with standard word processing, spreadsheet, email software, and general computer skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
Education and Experience
- Sufficient to perform effectively the responsibilities of the position and to have acquired the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Salary range is dependent on experience and qualifications ($15-$18/ hour). Some travel may be necessary, resulting in increased hours and associated overtime, no more than twice per year.
This is a part time position paid on an hourly basis and will report to a Project Manager. The schedule will be 15-20 hours per week generally within normal office hours, but with flexibility in coordination with the position’s supervisor. This position will be located at the ARCUS office in Fairbanks and is eligible for paid time off, holidays, and the ARCUS retirement plan.
How to Apply
Application materials should include:
- A letter of interest (1-2 pages) that explains how your experiences and qualifications suit you for this position; specifically addressing your attention to detail.
- A resume.
Please submit application materials and any questions via email to jobs [at] arcus.org, subject line: “Administrative Assistant [Last Name]”. No phone calls please.
Applications will be reviewed beginning Friday, 9 March 2018 and the position will remain open until filled.
ARCUS is an equal opportunity employer