University of Minnesota Summer Polar Boot Camp
Event Type: Field Training and Schools
When: 21 July 2014 to 1 August 2014
Where: University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MInnesota
The Polar Geospatial Center and U-Spatial at the University of Minnesota are pleased to announce the 2014 University of Minnesota Summer Polar Boot Camp, a collaborative, 10-day geospatial workshop held from July 21st to August 1st on the Twin Cities campus of the University of Minnesota.
The Summer Polar Boot Camp is divided into two weeks, and participants have the option to attend one or both weeks. Week one will cover desktop and web GIS, cartography, remote sensing, GPS, and LiDAR. Emphasis will be on foundational skills in gathering, creating, managing, analyzing, and communicating spatial data. The second week of the workshop will focus on geospatial topics and techniques as they relate to commercial imagery and the polar regions. A full summary of topics can be found in the 2014 Schedule above.
- Working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is a prerequisite for admission to the workshop. Please see the Resources page for preparatory training materials.
- Dr. Paul Bolstad, University of Minnesota Department of Forest Resources
- Brad Herried, Polar Geospatial Center
- Andy Jenks, University of Minnesota Department of Forest Resources
- Cole Kelleher, Polar Geospatial Center
- Dr. Joe Knight, University of Minnesota Department of Forest Resources
- Dr. Mark Lindberg, University of Minnesota Cartography Lab
- Paul Morin, Polar Geospatial Center
- Joel Nelson, University of Minnesota Department of Soil, Water, and Climate
- Claire Porter, Polar Geospatial Center
- Lucas Winzenburg, Polar Geospatial Center / U-Spatial
- The non-refundable participation fee for this course is $100.
- Application opens: April 1, 2014
- Application deadline: June 10, 2014
- Notification of acceptance: June 16, 2014
- Course fee due: July 1, 2014
- Workshop begins: July 21, 2014