International Bachelor Permafrost Summer Field School
Event Type: Field Training and Schools
Where: Longyearbyen, Svalbard
The University of the Arctic Thematic Network on Permafrost offers an International Bachelor Permafrost Summer Field School in Svalbard, 19 June to 11 July 2014. We welcome senior bachelor students, who are interested in obtaining an overall knowledge about permafrost. The course will offer insights into:
- Permafrost history and its distribution globally.
- Permafrost temperatures in various parts of the World – climatic and other controls.
- Methods of permafrost observations, focusing on drilling, coring and instrumentation.
- Permafrost databases and their use in permafrost analyses.
- How does permafrost affect local community infrastructure and cultural life?
- Interaction between carbon and water in permafrost landscapes.
- How sensitive are permafrost landforms towards climate change?
Application deadline: 15 April 2014, using the UNIS online application system (http://www.unis.no/10_STUDIES/1030_Admission/how_to_apply.htm)