ARTEK Event Conference: Sustainability in Mining
Event Type: Conferences and Workshops
Where: Sisimiut, Greenland
Organizers announce that a conference on 'Sustainability in Mining in the Arctic' will be held 9-11 April 2013 at the Sanaartornermik Ilinniarfik facilities in Sisimiut, Greenland. Abstracts are now being accepted, and must be submitted by Saturday, 15 December 2012 -- please note that this deadline has been extended from the original date.
The conference will provide opportunity for participants from industry, the public sector, and the science community to share information about environmental, social, cultural, and economic issues related to large-scale mining in the Arctic and especially in Greenland.
Conference topics will include:
- Historical cases: what have we learned in the Arctic;
- Regulation and legislation;
- Environmental, health, and social impact assessments of planned Greenlandic mines;
- Extraction processes and tailings handling;
- Planning, logistics, and technical mining solutions; and
- Closing, re-cultivation, and monitoring of former mining sites.
Abstract submission deadline: Saturday, 15 December 2012.