28th Wakefield Symposium: Responses of Arctic Marine Ecosystems to Climate Change
Event Type: Conferences and Workshops
When: 26 March 2013 to 29 March 2013
Where: Anchorage, Alaska
Alaska Sea Grant and other sponsors will hold a 3.5-day Wakefield Fisheries Symposium, to advance understanding of present and future responses of arctic marine ecosystems to climate change at all trophic levels, by documenting and forecasting changes in environmental processes and species responses to those changes. Presentations will focus on collaborative approaches to understanding and managing living marine resources in a changing Arctic, and to managing human responses to changing arctic marine ecosystems.
All keynotes and 20-minute contributed talks will be presented in plenary sessions. A call for abstracts will be released soon for oral and poster contributions. Organizers encourage contributions that focus on collaborative approaches to understanding and managing living marine resources in a changing Arctic and to managing human responses--locally, regionally, and globally--to changing arctic marine ecosystems.
Session topics include:
- Observed and anticipated environmental changes in the Arctic;
- Lower trophic level productivity of arctic waters in a changing climate;
- Marine fish resources of the Arctic in a changing climate;
- Observed and anticipated responses of arctic birds and marine mammals to environmental changes in the Arctic;
- Effects of changing arctic marine ecosystems on humans; and
- Understanding and managing arctic marine ecosystems in a time of change.