Third International EcoPechora Conference
Event Type: Conferences and Workshops
Where: Naryan-Mar, Russia
The Pechora Sea region in the European North-East is an area where the oil-and-gas industry is actively developed both offshore and onshore. At the same time, it is also a territory of unique tundra ecosystems, valuable coastal and marine regions, Indigenous cultures, and protected natural areas. The conference aims to evaluate the present-day environmental status of the Nenets Autonomous District territory and adjacent Pechora Sea, and search for ways of decreasing environmental risks.
Conference tasks are as follows:
* To provide an arena for sharing experience, knowledge, research results, and future plans for carrying out environmental activities and studies in the region.
* To get competent opinions and expert assessments of environmental status in the Pechora Sea region and possible challenges of industrial exploitation of nature resources.
* To propose the mechanisms for solving environmental protection problems.
* To attract the attention of state institutes and public to the Nenets Autonomous District as a pilot region for exploration of the offshore Arctic.
Conference topics include:
* Environmental risks related to the industrial activities in the region;
* Monitoring the environmental status of the region and the challenges of its conduct;
* Development of the state environmental protection management system;
* Protection, reproduction, and rational use of nature resources;
* Traditional nature use and prospects of its development; and
* Safety of oil-and-gas marine transportation.
Representatives of federal, regional and municipal level authorities, Russian and foreign scientific institutes, nature protection organizations, indigenous peoples, and oil-and-gas companies working in the region.