Natural Hazards - Lessons to be Learned
Event Type: Conferences and Workshops
Where: Vladikavkaz, Russia
A workshop dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the Kolka Glacier event is being organised in Vladikavkaz, Russia, on September 18-20, 2012, including a visit to the disaster site in Karmadon. This workshop will be part of a larger conference on natural and man-made hazards in mountain areas, which is run under the patronage of the Head of the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania.
- Present status of the Kolka glacier/Genaldon valley and forecast for the future.
- Glacier hazard assessment and mitigation, in the local region and worldwide.
- Techniques for monitoring unstable glaciers and other glacier hazards.
- Socioeconomic aspects of glacial hazards and high mountain risks.
- Other relevant topics are also welcome.
Working languages are English and Russian. It is planned to provide simultaneous translation.
For more information, please contact:
Prof. Jean Schneider (jean.schneider [at] boku.ac.at)
Dr. Sergey Chernomorets (devdorak [at] gmail.com)