IARPC Principal Members met 26 April 2011. This was their first meeting since IARPC became a subcommittee of the National Science and Technology Council (NSTC) in July 2010.
Key issues IARPC members were briefed on and discussed include:
- The significance of chartering IARPC as a subcommittee within the NSTC, which will bring a policy focus to its work. IARPC will need to incorporate into its work National Ocean Policy, the work of the Climate Change Adaptation Task Force, the Arctic Research Policy Act of 1984, and the National Security Presidential Directive 66 and Homeland Security Presidential Directive 25 Arctic Regional Policy (NSPD/HSPD-25) (see: http://hspolitics.wordpress.com/2009/01/14/hspd-25-nspd-66-arctic-region...);
- The new requirement and obligations associated a NSTC Charter for IARPC, as well as those derived from the Arctic Research Policy Act of 1984;
- Recommendations for IARPC communication with individuals outside the Federal Government;
- IARPC's role in the NSPD/HSPD-25 Arctic Regional Policy as well as commitments related to the Arctic Council's international Search and Rescue Agreement;
- Alaska's interests and involvement in arctic research;
- The National Ocean Policy's Changing Conditions in the Arctic Ocean Strategic Action Plan;
- Planning for the arctic research budget cross-cut and the directive for the Office of Science and Technology Policy and the Office of Management and Budget to coordinate budget requests from the agencies;
- Six interagency priority research themes for FY11 and FY12; and
- The outline for the IARPC 5-year research plan.
The next Principals meeting is scheduled for late summer 2011.
The full notes from the IARPC meeting are available below:
Download Meeting Notes (PDF - 80 KB)
Or at: http://www.nsf.gov/od/opp/arctic/iarpc/iarpc_mtgs_public.jsp.
For further information about IARPC, please see: http://www.nsf.gov/od/opp/arctic/iarpc/start.jsp or contact Brendan P. Kelly (bkelly [at] nsf.gov), IARPC Executive Director.