Arctic GIS | Welcome and Introduction
The internet links below contain useful resources related to general GIS and GII topics. Please see the Maps & Data Links pages for annotated links to maps and geospatial data.
Please contact Helen Wiggins if you would like to suggest additions to this list.
General GIS Resources and Information
- GeoCommunity -- GIS online portal and daily publication; features news, events, careers, software
- GeoData Alliance -- Nonprofit organization to foster creation and beneficial use of geographic information
- GIS.com -- ESRI-sponsored portal with "What is GIS" section, resources for data, education and training, news/events
- GIS Virtual Campus Library -- ESRI's searchable GIS bibliography with over 28,000 on-line references
- National Center for Geographic Information & Analysis (NCGIA) -- Independent research consortium focused on research and education in GIS
GIS & Education
- Student Data Mapper at KanGIS: K-12 GIS Community -- Collaborative GIS online mapping project. Create a project, contribute data, and make a map, all online.
Metadata and Data Standards
- Digital Geographic Information Exchange Standard (DIGEST) -- NATO standards for digital geographic information
- Dublin Core Metadata Initiative -- "Organization dedicated to promoting the widespread adoption of interoperable metadata standards..."
- European Umbrella Organization for Geographic Information (EUROGI) -- See the "Geographic information" section for geospatial standardization topics
- Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) -- Metadata pages from the FGDC; includes standards, education and training, metadata tools
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO) -- Homepage for the ISO, the network of national standards institutes
- Open GIS Consortium -- Non-profit association involved in developing open specifications for GIS
Potential Funding Sources
- Grants.gov -- U.S. federal grants portal; find and apply for grants from all U.S. federal agencies
- FGDC Grants -- Cooperative Agreements Program from the Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC)
- NSF Arctic Sciences Section --Funding opportunities from National Science Foundation's Office of Polar Programs, Arctic Sciences Section. See "Arctic Research Opportunities" for proposal information. The Arctic Research Support and Logistics program also supports the collection, management and dissemination of data that can be considered in the service of the broad arctic research community. This includes spatial data resources and infrastructure.
- NASA -- NASA Research Opportunities webpage; find information about solicited and unsolicited proposals
- NOAA -- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Grant Management Division pages for information on grants and cooperative agreements
- NOAA Coastal Services Center -- NOAA Coastal Services Center's GIS Integration and Development (GIS I&D) cooperative grants program
- USGS Grants -- U.S. Geological Survey contracts and grants information pages
- EPA Grants -- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's grants and fellowship information pages
- EPA Regional funding -- Description of opportunities under EPA's Regional Geographic Initiatives (RGI)
- ESRI Grant Page -- ESRI grants page has links to both ESRI-sponsored and non-ESRI sponsored grants; register for e-mail notification of grant funding opportunities
- Intergraph Programs -- GIS grant opportunities available under Intergraph's Education Program and Interoperability Programs
GIS Software and Tools
- Earth Resource Mapping (ER Mapper) -- Software and products for image mosaicing and analysis
- ESRI -- GIS and mapping software company; makers of ArcGIS products
- Leica Geosystems -- Software (ERDAS) and hardware for primarily remote sensing and photogrammetry
- MapInfo Corporation -- GIS and mapping software, with business and logistics application focus