International Sea Ice Concentration and Thickness Evaluation and Inter-comparison Workshop
I would like to invite you cordially to attend the International Sea Ice Concentration and Thickness Evaluation and Inter-comparison Workshop to be held at University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany on September 18-19, 2014.
The registration for this workshop is open under the workshops' web page http://www.climate-cryosphere.org/meetings/seaice-conc-2014 where you will also find more information about the location and the workshop.
Results from inter-comparison studies, independent validation and consistency checks, model experiments and assimilation to the topic of the workshop are all welcome. Specifically we would appreciate workshop participants to present results obtained by using and/or including the prototype products for sea ice concentration (SIC) and sea ice thickness (SIT) of the ESA CCI Sea Ice ECV project (SICCI) into their analysis. This prototype products can be downloaded from http://icdc.zmaw.de/esa-cci_sea-ice-ecv0.html?&L=1. The SICCI team will also present its own results with regard to data quality assessment.
The SICCI project (http://esa-cci.nersc.no/) is heading towards the end of the first project phase. A second project phase is planned in which the lessons learned from the prototype product will be incorporated into an enhanced version 2. This product enhancement would be incomplete without your feedback. We would like to give you the chance to voice your concerns and experience from using and working with the SICCI project data as well as with other SIC and SIT data from satellite remote sensing.
Specifically we would like to know:
- Can you use the SICCI products easily? If not: What are the difficulties? [Format, Description, Landmask]
- Do the SICCI products match your requirements in terms of 1) quality, 2) spatial resolution, 3) temporal resolution, 4) length of time series, 5) realistic uncertainties? If not: How would the SICCI products need to be improved to match your requirements?
- Is their any key information missing in the Product User Guide?
- What are the major results you obtained with using SICCI products? Did these allow you to improve your methods / results?
- Which other SIC / SIT data sets are you or have you been using and why?
This workshop is in good neighborhood with a chain of other workshops held in Europe about this topic:
15-16 September: 6th IICWG/ICE-ARC workshop on sea ice modeling and data assimilation Toulouse
22-23 September: Arctic sea ice reduction: the evidence, models, and global impacts, Royal Society, London
24-25 September: Arctic sea ice reduction: the evidence, models, and global impacts - further discussion, The Royal Society at Chicheley Hall
26 September: CliC Sea Ice and Modeling Forum Large-Scale Sea Ice Simulations Workshop, University of Reading, UK