Living Planet Fellowship
The first ESA Call for Research Proposals of the Living Planet Fellowship has been opened.
The main objective of this initiative is to provide support to young researchers who have a doctoral degree and who would like to initiate a scientific career in the context of Earth Observation, Earth science and Climate research. Candidate researchers shall submit research proposals responding to one of following Programmatic Areas:
A) Support To Science:
- Scientific exploitation of ESA.s Earth Explorer missions (i.e. SMOS, CryoSat, GOCE and Swarm), developing and validating innovative methods, novel products and promoting new scientific results.
- Earth System Science research maximizing the exploitation of ESA missions and long-term ESA archives (e.g. ERS-1, ERS-2, Envisat), also in synergy with other ESA and non-ESA data sets, specifically addressing the new scientific challenges of the Living Planet Programme.
B) Scientific Exploitation of the Sentinels:
- Development and validation of advanced EO methods and products for scientific exploitation of the continued observations and innovative features of the Sentinel missions (Sentinel 1, Sentinel 2, Sentinel 3 or Sentinel 5P).
- Developing novel scientific methods and tools for enhancing the synergetic exploitation of the Sentinel missions (Sentinel 1, Sentinel 2, Sentinel 3 and Sentinel 5P).
C) Climate Change Initiative:
- Exploiting Essential Climate Variable (ECV) products generated by the ESA.s Climate Change Initiative (CCI) for improved understanding of the climate system.
- Examining Cross-ECV consistency and multiple ECV use (those under the CCI Programme in particular).
Selected project proposals, will be awarded with a maximum budget of 40KEuro per year as a co-funding contribution to a standard post-doctoral position plus 3KEuro to cover costs associated to travels, conference fees and publications. The Host Institution shall co-finance and provide a post-doctoral contract to the candidate to undertake the research activity proposed. The Host Institution shall contribute with, as a minimum, 30% of the overall cost for the two years.
The documentation and call information (Call for Research Proposals package) can be downloaded from http://livingplanetfellowship.esa.int.
Proposal and all supporting documents must be sent by e-mail to: EOScience [at] esa [dot] int by no later than 30 June 2014 (the Closing Date).